The countdown to my wedding is on – only 5 weeks to go! I have had a roller coaster of a year, dropped over 2 stone and 3 dress sizes, and I would like to share some of the highlights with you and how I actually got here…
I am 6′ 2″ and love being the tallest girl in the room (nearly always!), and I love high heels too… What a combo! But what I have failed to say so far is that for the last 15 years I have battled with my weight. Until summer of 2012 I focused on pretty shoes rather than actually sticking to making myself feel better by losing weight. I just accepted that I had a ‘tyre’ around my waist and a big bum!
Over the last 10 years I have tried literally all the diets that you read about in the papers in a vain attempt to make myself magically get thin… I have always lost a bit and then put on more within a few months… I joined various expensive gyms over the years and always cancelled my membership after a year as ‘it was not working’.
I always remember the day when I was a teenager being ‘made’ to do an 800m race for sports day and getting lapped! In 800m! I just told myself that I am not made for sport and I am meant to be this unfit and this shape. In the end, to save my embarrassment I ended up pretending that I’d sprained my ankle, and hobbled to the finish line.
When I started to plan my wedding in July 2012 I had to do something different. My wardrobe had all suits in sizes 14, 16, 18, and 20; as I sat there looking at my ridiculous wardrobe, I googled ‘bootcamp’ and ‘Worthing’ and found Anthony’s Power Living Intensive bootcamp, and I have not looked back since.
So what have I achieved since August 2012? Here are some of my highlights…
- I completed the Nuts Challenge assault course in September; being scared of heights and unfit this was a real achievement – the team from Bootcamp got me through it though!
- I have dropped 3 dress sizes and I’m on target to get to size 12!
- I have completed the Brighton Half Marathon – that’s from a girl who feigned a sprained ankle doing just 800m!
- I am now doing back to back boot camps as I have got fitter
- I now know about food nutrition and what is actually good for me
- I have made some amazing friends who inspire and motivate me to carry on
Right now, we’re coming into the last week of a 28 day challenge. There’s over £5,000 of prizes up for grabs, and I definitely want some of that! I am captain of the Red Team, and it is great to have a bit of competitive fun amongst the group – we are all working so hard and the results are there for all to see!
I have my wedding dress fitting at the end of the month and I will achieve my target weight and shape – just a shame that I can’t show off my long toned legs with the dress! 🙂