Losing weight can be challenging, both mentally and physically. Progress can be slow at times and, let’s be honest, making lifestyle improvements to your diet and activity is hard. Here are seven tips to help you stay motivated during your weight loss journey:
- Build a Network – Let your friends and family know your goals and encourage them to be your own personal cheerleaders along the way. It also helps to surround yourself with people who have similar goals, whether these are fellow gym-goers or members of an online support group.
- Set Short-Term Goals – Weight loss goals can take a long time to reach, so it is important to recognise your progress and accomplishments along the way. These short-term goals do not need to only centre around a number on the scale. They can include going down a dress size or meeting a fitness goal, such as jogging a longer distance without stopping.
- Celebrate Your Wins – Now that you set your goals, celebrate them! This can be as simple as buying a new outfit or treating yourself to a relaxing massage. Accomplishing larger goals may warrant a more pricey reward, like a weekend getaway. Just make sure your celebrations and rewards do not focus on the poor food choices you worked so hard to overcome.
- Track Your Progress Visually – It is important to actually see your progress. Start taking regular photos during your weight loss journey, whether you keep them private or share them on social media. Posting pics may not be right for everyone, but it is a great way to hold yourself accountable while receiving support and encouragement from others. By keeping photos of your progress, you can look back at any time and recognise how far you have come. You may even notice physical improvements not picked up by the scale or mirror.
- Keep Healthy Surroundings – Make it a habit to keep only healthy food options in your kitchen. This will help to reduce temptation and prevent dreaded backsliding. In addition to keeping the right foods within close reach, you can also proudly display a motivating item, like an outfit you plan to wear one day, in your home. This will serve as a regular, positive reminder of your goal.
- Make it Fun – A little bit of friendly and fun competition can boost motivation. Consider joining a team sport or even starting a weight loss competition with your family, friends, or co-workers. This can also help with building your support system and network (tip #1).
- Switch it Up – Do not let your workout and diet get stagnant. Try out the latest fitness class or update your exercise routine. If you are a runner, consider testing out a different trail or route. In regards to food, make a new recipe or even check out a healthy cooking class.